The Militia Immaculatae
On the evening of October 16, 1917, in a room of the International College of the Friars Minor, Conventual in Rome, Maximilian Kolbe and six confreres found the Militia Immaculatae (MI). The goal is the conversion of all persons to God, also non-Catholics and non-believers, and in particular the enemies of Our Holy Mother, the Church. This conversion, of course, must begin with ourselves as we strive to become saints under the patronage and through the mediation of the Immaculate Virgin.
The conditions of membership:
1. Consecrate oneself totally to the Immaculate Virgin, putting oneself freely in her hands as a docile and generous instrument.
2. Wear (or carry) the miraculous medal.
3. Have one’s name written in the local canonically established MI Center.
The means of apostolate:
1. Pray, do penance, offer to God the trials and sufferings of everyday life. Turn, every day as possible, to the Immaculata with the prayer “O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you, and for those who do not have recourse to you, especially the enemies of holy Mother Church and those recommended to you.”
2. Use every valid and legitimate means at your disposal for the conversion and sanctification of humanity, but, above all, use the press and the miraculous medal. This is the external sign of one’s consecration and a font of graces promised by the Madonna as an instrument of in spiritual battle and inspiration for prayer. Make oneself, therefore, a reliable interpreter of the Gospel capable of arousing Christian choices and vocations through prayer, penance, good example, friendliness, kindness, goodness, as a reflection of the goodness of the Immaculate Conception (Writings of St. Maximilian Kolbe, #21).
The unlimited consecration to the Immaculata is the essence of the MI. What does it mean to consecrate oneself to Mary? It means to welcome Christ's gift given from the cross, that is his mother, as our mother, and to take her into our homes, into our existence in order to live with her. The MI member wants to win her the greatest possible number of hearts, the hearts of all those who currently live and will live in anytime until the end of the world.
Today the MI has millions of members, all united in giving their very best to Jesus through the Immaculate Conception, for their own sanctification and the sanctification of all people “as soon as possible.” Take some time in prayer to consider enrolling in this powerful movement of people consecrated to Our Lady for the Greatest Glory of God. Gifts, talents, weaknesses, failings, even incomprehension are of no account in this exchange of love between the MI member and the Immaculata. All one really requires is the will to live its mission and an open heart to grow in holiness.
Already know you want to become a member of the MI? Need time to think and pray about it? No problem! No pressure. We'll continue learning and reflecting and at the end of the preparation you will be given the opportunity to enroll if you so wish.
What's it got
to do with
St. Maximilian founded the MI as a response to the evil and lack of faith in the world. How does consecration to Mary help you to respond to the evils in your world?
How have/can you take Mary into your "home" and "existence"?
What are some "means" at your "disposal" for sanctification of yourself and others?
Would you like to share your thoughts? Contact us!
©2020 Father Kolbe Missionaries of the Immaculata